The Executive Secretariat is an institutional framework for the implementation of the GVTC treaty (article 8) as a cooperate body under the laws of Rwanda (article 12 g) responsible to the board for the day to day implementation of the plans, programs and strategies of the transboundary collaboration (article 12 h) with the following major responsibilities:
- Coordinate and convene stakeholder partnerships and meetings
- Information and information management /clearing house
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Warning bell/early warning system
- Implementation of some interventions
- To achieve these objectives, an executive Secretariat was set up in 2008 and its structure reviewed in 2013 with a provision of key positions within a detailed organogramme. This structure implies the recruitment of an Accountant to support the financial management function of GVTC.
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The role of the Accountant is to manage the GVTC's finance unit by implementing day-to-day financial transactions. Together with the Deputy Executive Secretary in charge of Finance and Administration to put in place an effective and efficient financial management system of GVTC financial system.
Key Result Areas
- Maintaining books of accounts and all other records of transactions of GVTC in good order.
- Providing Accounting information as and whenever required by management and or other stakeholders.
- Managing costs and defending GVTC's resources against financial loss.
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual operating reports and provide comprehensive analysis.
- Work with external auditors in liaison with Deputy Executive Secretary in charge of Finance and Administration to provide information as and whenever requested.
Roles and responsibilities:.
- Implement the office's accounting system, policies and procedures in accordance with Program requirements.
- Comply with the organization existing controls procedures for all accounting areas, using Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP).
- Participate in the preparation of work plans and budgets and integrating them within GVTC accounting systems
- coordinate the accounting function of the Organization.
- Handle and account for day-to-day Program operating expenditures, financial and accounting transactions and bank accounts.
- Prepare accounting vouchers (payments and journals) ensuring all supportive documentation is attached.
- Record all cheques and Payment orders issued in the cheque register.
- Record all vouchers in Sun system.
- Manage the petty cash imprest.
- Facilitation of annual audit by external audit and/or internal audit reviews
- Prepare Monthly bank reconciliations and submit for appropriate approvals
- Ensure that expenditures are within the agreed budget in GVTC operational plans.
- Monitor expenditures against the budgeted items to avoid over expenditure.
- Ensuring that all supporting documentation is in order before approval of payments.
- Prepare & interpret financial reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis as may be required.
- Draft all routine correspondences related to accounting and financial matters of the GVTC
- Implement improvements to ensure integrity of financial controls and corrective action plans where gaps are identified in the audit reports.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor and or management.
Working Conditions and Duration
This position of Accountant is based at the GVTC headquarters in Kigali, with frequent travel to GVTC working range in the 3 countries where the implementations of GVTC activities are carried out to do supervision of financial transactions incurred by implementing partners. The job is an eighteen (18) months contract with possible renewal.
Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor's Degree in Commerce, Business, Finance, Accounting or equivalent;
- Minimum of 3 years working experience as an Accountant in a relatively large organization;
- Experience working in a regional organization or Donor funded projects;
- Demonstrated experience in preparation of financial reports and budget variance analysis;
- Hands on experience with a multiple-user accounting package (Sun System) including data capturing and extraction of management information and reports there from.
- Fluency in English and French.
- Part qualification for professional Accounting courses, CPA or ACCA will be an added advantage.
- High competent, experienced and self motivated person with integrity;
- Analytical, decisive, results oriented and innovative
- Proactive with ability to take decision;
- Ability to work more hours than expected;
- Sufficient knowledge in computer use, writing and communication skills;
- Conversant with finance management practices and donor procedures;
- High integrity, strong result orientation, drive for excellent and initiative
- Excellent team playing abilities and having a keen client focus;
- A driving license at least three years of experience is an added advantage.
- Women candidates with the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit a letter of intent, CV, copies of qualification certificates and three professional references by email to the Human Resource and Administration Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org or Deputy Executive Secretary, Finance and Administration, email@example.com or in hard copy to GVTC Offices in Nyarutarama not later than 5 PM Central Africa Time on November 7th , 2016.