JICA Volunteers are generally dispatched to governmental institutions and stay in developing countries for two years, living and working with the local people in the tasks of community development. Their spirit is characterized by the will to help others, strong motivation to pursue the goals and make the difference, modest attitude to learn from others to be integrated into local communities, flexibility and open mind.
Rwanda had received the volunteers from 1987 to 1993. After 12 years of absence, the volunteer program came back to Rwanda in 2005.
As of May 2016, there are 43 volunteers working in Rwanda in water and sanitation, agriculture, education, and various other fields.
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Rwanda Office is seeking for a Rwandan employee who will serve as Program Officer for the Volunteer Program.
Terms of Reference:
Under the direct supervision of the Volunteer Coordinators, the Program Officer performs following functions in the Volunteer Unit of JICA Rwanda Office;
- To facilitate request process for new volunteer positions,
- To manage and facilitate necessary arrangement for acceptance of volunteers and for preparation during pre-dispatch period,
- To manage security and house lease services for volunteers,
- To arrange necessary meetings with relevant institutions,
- To provide other administrative support to volunteers,
- To take necessary measures for volunteers' better performance, and
- To undertake any other duties instructed by Chief Representative.
Conditions of the Employment Contract:
The successful candidate will sign an employment contract with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Rwanda Office. The contract is concluded on annual basis following JICA's regulations, particularly the fiscal year term (April-March). General conditions of the agreement will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least three years of professional experience
- Excellent language skills in English and Kinyarwanda (fluency in French is preferable.)
- The following experiences would be an asset.
- Working experiences in the public institutions of the government of Rwanda
- Working experiences in development partners (preferably in Rwanda)
- Working experiences in Japanese organizations or those related to Japan (preferably in Rwanda)
How to Apply:
The application containing a motivation letter, detailed curriculum vitae, copies of degrees and certificates, and names and contacts of two referees knowledgeable about the candidate shall be submitted by hand to JICA Rwanda Office (Ground Floor, Ebenezer House, Kacyiru, Kigali) not later than 16:00 on Monday 30th May, 2016. Please clearly write "Application for Program Officer for the Volunteer Program" on the submitted envelope. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written examination and the interview.